Have you heard the phrase, “Save the Best for Last.” Well, this is true for the month of August in Ocean City, MD. Just because the countdown towards the start of school has begun, does not mean it’s an end to all the fun!
Starting with the word’s largest billfish tournament, The White Marlin Open (WMO), being held August 5-9, 2019. The first tournament was first held in 1974, which drew 57 boats, 150 anglers and paid $20,000 in prize money with the top award of $5,000. Fast forward to 2017, when the event drew 358 boats, over 3,000 contestants, and paid out almost $5 million dollars in prize money including the top individual awards of $1.6 million and $1.5 million dollars. According to WMO, the event has become not only the largest billfish tournament, but also holds the world record for prize money payouts for any type of fishing tournament.
For more information regarding the WMO visit their website at https://whitemarlinopen.com/.
The Artists Paint OC: Plein Air Event, August 7-11, 2019, is an annual event that draws artists from all over to paint the scenic views of Ocean City. According to the Art League of Ocean City, artists will take to the boardwalk, streets, harbors, bay and marshes to participate. “En plein air” is a French expression that means “in the open air,” used to describe the art of painting outdoors. Plein air events take place wherever the scenery is inspirational, artists congregate to paint it, and watchers gather to see the painters make art right before their eyes.
For more details on Artists Paint OC: Plein Air Event visit the Art League of Ocean City’s website at https://artleagueofoceancity.org/.
Another fishing tournament for Ocean City, the Poor Girls Open that will take place August 15-17 this year. The Poor Girls Open is a ladies only billfish release tournament benefiting breast cancer research. There are also added entry levels for tuna and dolphin. This tournament was started by Capt. According to Bahia Marina, the tournament was organized by Capt. Steve Harman as a way for local waitresses and bartenders to have an affordable and fun competition while raising money for a very important cause. The tournament continues to grow with over 100 boats entering each year.
For more information visit Bahia Marina’s website at https://bahiamarina.com.
A different type of event that has grown larger and larger each year is OC Jeep Week, which will be held August 22-25 this year. According to OC Jeep Week, the event is a celebration of Jeep culture in beautiful Ocean City. What began with a tightly-knit group of Jeep enthusiasts who wanted to come together and show off lifts, mods, crawl speeds and off-roading capability has organically grown through the conversations of Jeep lovers to be one of the premier Jeep events in the Mid-Atlantic Region.
The event is comprised of early morning beach crawls, beach sand course, days spent at the Roland E. Powell Convention Center checking out jeep products and services, not to mention Show & Shine and Jeep Jam events. For more information visit their website at https://www.oceancityjeepweek.com/.
A special event to close out the month is ArtX Artistic Xpression Exposition, organized by the Town of Ocean City’s own Special Events Department. This year ArtX will be held August 24-25 at Northside Park located on 125th Street & the Bay.
According to the Town of Ocean City, the festival focuses on artistic expression, bringing additional opportunities for creative experiences to the beach. Films from the Art League of Ocean City’s popular March film festival will be scheduled for showings over the two-day event, creating a welcomed break from the August sun. Since interaction is key to this expressive event, guests of any age will find hands-on activities to make their mark, including frisbee illustration, Zentangle, beading, and speed painting. In addition, more serious art workshops are also available on-site through the Art League, offering the opportunity for participants to try their creative hand under the dedicated direction of a professional artist.
Live music will also rock the park on Saturday night with RIPE and special local guests the Swell Fellas. RIPE is the swagger of funk filtered through a rock anthem. Born all over but formed in Boston, the seven soulmates of RIPE create an unstoppable high-energy groove guaranteed to get you dancing. The outdoor concert begins at 8 p.m. and is free.
For more information visit the Town of Ocean City’s website at https://oceancitymd.gov/oc/departments/special-events/artx/.
The Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums located on 118th Street & the Beach, continues to offer a number of free activities that both the public and our guests to enjoy through the end of summer.
- Movies on the Beach take place on the beach in front of the Carousel Resort each Wednesday starting at Dusk (June 5 – August 28); bring a chair and a blanket, and enjoy a movie under the summer stars.
- Family Beach Olympics is held on the beach in front of the hotel on Thursdays from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. (June 5 – August 29); bring the family to take part in sand castle contests, relays, tug-of-war, prizes and more.
- Tropical Lawn Parties (June, July & August) are held every day except Mondays from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. where live entertainment is held on the patio at the Tsunami Bar & Grill, including drink specials.
- Free Ice Skating Show featuring The Next Ice Age take place every day of the week, except Fridays, on the ice rink located in the Carousel Resort’s Atrium starting at 6:30 p.m. (June 12 – September 1).
- Barn Hill Preserve Mobile Zoo sets up on the patio every Monday from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. (June 17 – August 26), presenting friendly-exotic animals. Just for $10 you can hold the animal and have a photo taken.
On top of all that, the Carousel Resort Hotel & Condos has perks for guests too!
- Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday Family Photo Night is held from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. (June 30 – August 30); dress up with silly props and pick a fun background to take a picture with your friends and family and receive one free 5×7 print.
- Family Movie Night is held on Mondays and Fridays inside starting at 7:30 p.m. (June 3 – September 2) where a variety of movies will be played for your enjoyment.
- We can’t forget the Mermaids! Every Wednesday a special mermaid appearance is held at the indoor pool from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. (June 12 – August 14).
For more information on activities and events, as well as accommodations provided by the Carousel Resort visit our website at www.CarouselHotel.com.
Besides the obvious – gorgeous beaches, bays and public parks – Ocean City has much more to offer through the end of August too.
- Attend Sundaes in the Park with a free fireworks show on Sunday evenings at Northside Park.
- Gaze at OC Beach Lights display nightly during the summer near Caroline St. on the boardwalk.
- Don’t miss the OC Beach Dance Party events every Tuesday during the summer on the beach at the Caroline Street Stage.
- Enjoy the Sunset Park Party Nights at Sunset Park on Thursdays during the summer.
For more details on all the Town of Ocean City has to offer for the remainder of the summer season visit the Tourism Department’s website at www.OCocean.com.