These Days, the term “Staycation” has become well known across the nation. However, we are here to tell you that “Staycations” are just not the same when it comes to “Vacation”.
The way of life has adapted to working and learning from home, while we have become accustomed to making the best of things having to avoid large crowds and well, just germs in general. But we are here to help shine some light on what makes a vacation in Ocean City, MD worth separating yourself from home while also remaining safe and on top of your virtual agenda.
Some of the best things about this time of year in the resort town is the weather remains warm, crowds become sparse and hotel rates drop. Especially during the week days, when the beaches are bare and you can find yourself, along with a few others, walking the Boardwalk or driving Coastal Highway to find the perfect dinner spot.
Instead of setting up the classroom or office at home, how about your hotel room, oceanfront balcony, hotel patio and pool, or even the beach? Once you get the work out of the way, trade in that uniform for a bathing suit and hit the waves or amusement park, ending your day with your favorite Maryland cuisine and ice cream.
The Carousel Group, with hotel locations throughout Ocean City from the Boardwalk to the Delaware line, have rates already dropping. Following Labor Day Weekend you will be able to find the following rates from Sunday through Thursday; the Fenwick Inn located in North Ocean City on 138th Street Bayside, Coastal Palms on 120th Street Ocean Block and Bonita Beach on 81st Street Ocean Block are all running for the lowest rate of $69/night. Cayman Suites located on 125th Street Ocean Block is $79/night. Crystal Beach Hotel located on 25th Street & the Boardwalk is priced at $99/night, and the Atlantic Oceanfront Inn located on 45th Street Oceanfront, where you walk out the door onto the beach is $109/night.
As for the Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums, located on 118th Street & the Ocean, rooms are also starting at $79/night. This is a bargain considering the Carousel offers the most amenities in Ocean City from the pools to the arcade, gift shop, tropical patio, beachfront, dining options and the famous one-of-a-kind indoor ice skating rink. The Carousel’s ice skating rink is open daily to the hotel guest and public alike.
As the summer comes to an end there is still plenty to do while on vacation in Ocean City, MD besides going to the beach or hanging out at the hotel, such as visiting one of the following local attractions:
• Learn something new at The Life-Saving Station Museum’s facts session in summer.
• Visit Assateague Island, and the wild ponies.
• Visit the 40th St. Convention Center Visitor Center for great information and see local art.
• Go to an exhibit at the Art League of Ocean City’s Center for the Arts on 94th
• Explore the commercial fishing harbor in West Ocean City.
• Learn about the Indian Statue by Peter Toth at the Inlet.
• Visit the 100-year-old carousel at Trimper’s Rides on the Boardwalk. • Take in the Ocean City Firefighters Memorial on the boardwalk at N. Division St.
• Visit Public Parks! An oversight in Ocean City, MD., is the many hidden gems you can find in its public parks that offer everything from walking paths, exercise equipment, sports facilities, playgrounds and more…
Downtown Recreation Complex: Located between 3rd and 4th streets bayside, the Downtown Recreation Complex offers something for everyone. A lighted multipurpose ballfield along the bay, and a small ballfield appropriate for youth softball games, as well as a playground area make this park ideal for the entire family. Basketball enthusiasts will enjoy ample court area to shoot some hoops. The Ocean Bowl Skate Park, a popular spot for skateboarders and inline skaters, contains a pool bowl, vert ramp, mini ramp and concrete street area. Directly on the bay, Chicago Avenue’s promenade area is an ideal spot for fishing and crabbing.
Beach Volleyball Courts: located between 3rd and 4th Street off the boardwalk. Four public courts are available for pick up play during summer daylight hours. Other public nets can be found scattered up and down the beach. Call for the location nearest you.
Town of Ocean City Tennis Center: The Ocean City Tennis Center, located on 61st Street bayside, is home to Ocean City’s finest tennis facility. Six Premier and three Lee Fast Dry Clay courts are featured. Junior activities, leagues, and clinic play are centered here.
Little Salisbury Park: Located on 94th Street bayside, Little Salisbury Park is home to the Ocean City Center for the Arts, two tennis courts, a basketball court, playground and dog playground.
Northside Park: Located on 125th Street and the Bay, Northside Park is Ocean City’s largest and most popular park facility. Home to the Recreation and Parks Department’s Administrative offices, the 58 acre complex boasts three lighted softball/baseball fields, a lighted soccer field, multipurpose field, a fishing lagoon, a foot bridge, concession stands, two playgrounds, outdoor fitness equipment, little lending library, picnic shelter, two piers, a gazebo, and a one mile walking/jogging path. Indoor facilities include a Community Center with a 14,200 square foot gymnasium, kitchen, community room, conference room, patio, sitting areas, and a sports center annex with a 21,000 square foot multi-sport sports arena.
Gorman Park: Located on 136th Street bayside, just off Derrickson Avenue, is home to one tennis court, one three wall racquetball court, pickleball courts, a picnic shelter and a playground.
Fiesta Park: A wooded, passive park, Fiesta Park is located on 141st Street bayside at Fiesta Road. Nature trails and a picnic shelter provide a relaxing family recreational experience.
If you aren’t ready to leave the safety net of your home, we totally understand! We have great ideas for that too!
• Order Room Service: Whether it is a continental breakfast or a romantic dinner for two, cook a meal or order delivery and dine over a tablecloth with candles or stay in bed!
• Spa Day: Turn your bathroom into a luxurious spa with the help of bubble bath, bath oils, homemade facial treatments and a soothing eye pillow. Just add candles and a relaxing soundtrack and let the worries of everyday life fall away.
• Perfect the Art of the Nap: Whether it’s on a hammock under the trees or on your screened-in porch, revisit the indulgent, forget-the-world experience of taking a long, relaxing nap in the middle of the day.
• Go Camping in your own Backyard: Sleeping under the stars is still fun for all ages. Get the full camping experience by cooking over a fire (or portable barbecue), sleeping in a tent and only visiting the house for restroom breaks.
• Movie Night: Set up a projection screen in your backyard or have a Netflix marathon from the comfort of your own couch. Try something different for a change, like a cheesy horror flick or one of those all-time classics you’ve still never seen. Don’t forget the popcorn and candy!
• Catch Up on Your Reading: Whether you love historical biographies or fluffy beach reads, stock up on some hot titles and set aside plenty of time to get lost in them. Just image the sound of seagulls in the distance, and crashing waves at the beach and let yourself be carried away.
• Learn a New Recipe, or Try a New Wine: It’s so fun to try something new, and vacations are the best time to expand your taste buds. Even though this may not be the time to spend, a splurge-y trip to the grocery store cost less than a week of restaurant meals. So go ahead and indulge a bit.
• Break Out the Crafts: Many hotels and resorts offer family friendly activities, such as camps for the kids! Break out the glue, glitter, beads and macaroni! Click the link to a good deal of DIY kid craft ideas brought to you by Good Housekeeping. https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/…/g13…/diy-kids-activities/
Either way, just don’t forget to stop and relax somewhere along the way. Whether it is at home or in Ocean City, MD!
For more information on the Carousel Group, and each of our hotels visit our website at www.CarouselGroupHotels.com. For assistance in making your reservation call our Reservation Department at 800.641.0011.